Dermal fillers have revolutionised the field of aesthetic medicine, offering a minimally invasive option for individuals looking to enhance their facial features and address signs of ageing. Comprising of substances that mimic the body’s own natural compounds, these fillers can smooth static lines, restore volume, and augment facial contours without the need for surgery.
As fillers become an increasingly popular choice for those seeking to rejuvenate their appearance, the importance of setting realistic expectations becomes apparent. So how long do dermal fillers last?
This article will explore the longevity of dermal fillers, providing insights into the different types available, factors influencing their duration, and various ways to help maintain the effects for an extended period.
Types of Dermal Fillers
There are a range of Dermal fillers available and, each type can be tailored to specific concerns and longevity.
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers:
- Applications: Ideal for adding softness to the lips, restoring cheek volume, smoothing nasolabial folds, and filling tear troughs.
- Duration: Typically, these fillers can last from 6 to 18 months, depending on the specific formulation used.
- Longevity Factors: The body’s natural degradation process and the unique cross-linking of the hyaluronic acid molecules in the product.
Calcium Hydroxylapatite Fillers:
- Applications: Best suited for deeper lines, enhancing facial contours, and improving volume in areas like the cheeks and jawline.
- Duration: These fillers are designed to last approximately 12 to 18 months.
- Longevity Factors: The filler’s compatibility with the body’s natural tissues and its ability to promote natural collagen production.
Poly-L-lactic Acid Fillers:
- Applications: Effective for addressing deep wrinkles and stimulating collagen
- Duration: The effects are gradually noticeable and can last up to 2 years after the full treatment regimen.
- Longevity Factors: The body’s individual collagen synthesis response and the area treated.
Duration of Dermal Filler Results
The longevity of results from dermal filler treatments is not one-size-fits-all. The timeframe over which fillers retain their effects can vary widely from patient to patient. While fillers offer a temporary cosmetic solution, the effects may last beyond that of 2 years. The exact duration is also influenced by intrinsic factors like the body’s natural metabolic processes, which can differ from person to person, as well as the proprietary composition of the specific filler brand chosen.
Factors Affecting Longevity
Several elements contribute to the longevity of dermal filler effects, including:
Metabolism: A higher metabolic rate can lead to a quicker absorption of the filler material.
Lifestyle Factors: Diet, exercise, and environmental exposure can all play a role in how well the fillers are maintained over time.
Expert Application: The proficiency of the administering practitioner is crucial. Expert application can both influence the initial appearance and longevity of the filler.
Aftercare Adherence: Adhering to post-treatment care guidelines is key for maximising and maintaining the desired aesthetic results.
Touch-Up and Maintenance
To preserve the look achieved through dermal fillers, occasional touch-ups are often advisable. Regularly scheduled consultations with your practitioner can help to monitor the effects of the fillers and apply maintenance treatments as needed. Depending on the individual, maintenance treatments may be required once or sometimes twice a year.
Prolonging Dermal Filler Effects
The durability of filler effects can be maximised with a disciplined skincare regimen and a healthy lifestyle. Effective sun protection, a nutrient-rich diet, and staying hydrated are all essential practices that can support the enduring impact of dermal filler treatments.
Questions to Ask at Your Consultation
Prior to treatment, ensure a comprehensive discussion with your practitioner. Essential questions should cover:
- their experience and training
- the ability to correct or dissolve fillers if results are unsatisfactory
- a thorough rundown of potential risks including filler migration and vascular occlusion
- specifics about the filler product that is being used
These inquiries will help establish trust and set expectations for the procedure.
Dermal fillers offer a transformative option for facial rejuvenation with varying longevity depending on type, personal factors, and care. To maintain results, a combination of professional touch-ups and diligent skincare is recommended. Above all, the expertise of the practitioner is crucial, securing not just immediate enhancements but also ensuring their endurance and safety over time
At Shape Clinic, we understand the nuances of facial aesthetics. For a bespoke consultation with one of our practitioners and to explore your options, get in touch with Shape Clinic today.